#4 “What’s in your mouth!?”
How many times have you said that to your dog and whatever was in his mouth magically disappears down his throat never to be seen again?? I am sure you have experienced this quite often. While most of the time, it is probably food they stole off the table, one thing to keep an eye out for during the fall are wild mushrooms.
While 99% of mushrooms do not have a toxicity level, there are still that 1% that are dangerously toxic to dogs. Be sure to do a regular sweep of your backyard to get rid of any mushrooms that may pop up. It’s pretty difficult to tell which mushrooms are toxic so it is a best practice to eliminate any wild mushrooms from your yard.
Below are the common signs that your dog has ingested a toxic wild mushroom:
- Lack of balance
- Vomiting or salivating excessively
- Yellowing of skin and “whites of eyes”
If you are aware that your dog ate one of these mushrooms or is having any of these symptoms, contact your vet immediately or call ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.